Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

Driveout to Mt Lemmon or Madera Canyon

June 27 @ 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Good morning everybody: as of this moment the road up Mt Lemmon is still closed to the public, which means all the facilities and stores up there are not open. If these conditions persist, it has been suggested that we change our destination to Madera Canyon, which is about 25 miles south of Tucson, which is still open.  I think this is a good idea if Mt Lemmon doesn’t reopen.

I just heard from Dave Blatt, our resident Mt Lemmon member.  He has evacuated and is staying in the “lowlands” of Tucson, complaining that it’s too hot down here!  He does not expect the Mt Lemmon highway to be open this weekend, so we will most likely go to Madera Canyon, which has generated several positive responses from club members. However, I am told there are no stores in Madera Canyon so be prepared with food and plenty of drinks. There are picnic tables and shade, and I’m told there are some very nice hiking trails.

If anyone is familiar with the “back road” to Madera Canyon please advise me. I think that would be much nicer for our Miatas than staying on I-19.

I’ve never been to Madera Canyon, though I understand it is an internationally recognized location for bird watching. I think it would be an interesting destination.

We will still meet at Beyond Bread at Oracle and Ina for a 9:00 a.m. departure. Please remember to bring your walkie-talkies and your Miata Club magnetic signs.

I don’t foresee any problems due to social distancing, but please bring a mask to wear in Summerhaven or Madera Canyon.

This is a ride for the sake of getting out and having a ride, and I look on it as almost a “shake-down cruise” leading into our usual breakfast, dinner and ride activities.

Details

Date:
June 27
Time:
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Event Category:

Organizer

Ian Friedlander

Venue

Beyond Bread
421 W Ina Rd
Tucson, AZ 85704 United States
+ Google Map

0 Comments

  1. Faith & Dennis Holt

    June 25, 2020 at 12:35 PM

    Been awhile since we’ve been to MC, looking forward to the run….

  2. Paul and Randi

    June 24, 2020 at 5:16 PM

    Sorry, but now that Mt. Lemmon is definitely out, going to Madera Canyon does not work for us. Hopefully, things will be easier for all of us on the next event.”

  3. Paul and Randi

    June 20, 2020 at 6:44 PM

    In view of the Big Horn fires and evacuations at Summerhaven, when will a decision be made on whether or not to have the drive out?

  4. Connie Culley

    June 10, 2020 at 6:55 AM

    Alan and Connie Culley are looking forward to it.

  5. Paul and Geri Conser

    June 5, 2020 at 12:50 PM

    Paul and Geri Conser plan to go on drive to Mt. Lemon

  6. Count Paul and Randi in.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© 2020 OPMC

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑